The specific purpose for which the corporation is formed is educational and charitable through the support of the Sonoma County Public Library System as well as other organizations, programs, and/or activities that aim to promote the use of library resources, enthusiasm for reading and/or increased literacy for Sonoma County residents.
Here are just some of the programs and services we have supported with the money we’ve raised:
For the Sonoma County Library:
- AWE Early Learning Station computers for each of the library branches. Read More
- The Sonoma County Library’s Summer Reading Program, with outreach to children at YMCA camps who otherwise would not be able to participate;
- Sonoma County Reads, a county-wide community reading event; and
- Sonoma County Library Book Discussion Groups, with the purchase of sets of books to be used in the book discussions;
- Born to Read, through distribution of a new hardcover book and library information to each baby born in Sonoma County; and
- Enhancement of the Library’s Spanish-language collection.
And other programs that increase literacy in our community:
- The Big Read, Sonoma County
And our newest addition is the Free Bookmobile of Sonoma County!
The Foundation has been established as a California nonprofit public benefit corporation and has been designated a 501(c)(3) organization by the IRS. This means your generous donations are tax deductible.
Managed by the Board of Directors, the Foundation is wholly independent of the Library and its Commission.