The specific purpose for which the corporation is formed is educational and charitable through the support of the Sonoma County Public Library System as well as other organizations, programs, and/or activities that aim to promote the use of library resources, enthusiasm for reading and/or increased literacy for Sonoma County residents.
Here are just some of the programs and services we have supported with the money we’ve raised:
For the Sonoma County Library:
- AWE Early Learning Station computers for each of the library branches. Read More
- The Sonoma County Library’s Summer Reading Program, with outreach to children at YMCA camps who otherwise would not be able to participate;
- Sonoma County Reads, a county-wide community reading event; and
- Sonoma County Library Book Discussion Groups, with the purchase of sets of books to be used in the book discussions;
- Born to Read, through distribution of a new hardcover book and library information to each baby born in Sonoma County; and
- Enhancement of the Library’s Spanish-language collection.
And other programs that increase literacy in our community:
- The Big Read, Sonoma County
And our newest addition is the Free Bookmobile of Sonoma County!
The Foundation has been established as a California nonprofit public benefit corporation and has been designated a 501(c)(3) organization by the IRS. This means your generous donations are tax deductible.
Managed by the Board of Directors, the Foundation is wholly independent of the Library and its Commission.
Do you love the library and want the next generation to love it as well? Become a board member on the Sonoma County Public Library Foundation. We support the library system as well as other organizations and programs that promote enthusiasm for reading and literacy. Meetings are held once a month and board members serve for two year terms. Come join a dynamic group! Contact Scott Alonso, Board President.